Summer is here! Unfortunately it has brought brutally hot temps along with it. With record breaking temperatures spreading across the US, people are trying to find new ways to beat the heat and stay cool this summer. Whether it involves heading to the beach or pool, or hunkering down inside an air conditioned building, staying cool has become a priority for several of us. We cant forget about our feathered and furry friends either! Here are some tips for keeping your pet cool during a heat wave.
- Keep your pet out of the sun. Even in air conditioned rooms, sunlight can be several degrees warmer than shaded areas. Be sure to place your pet’s cage in an area out of the direct sunlight. If you do not have a cage, make sure there are shaded areas in your pet’s area that he/she can go to for relief.
- Do not place your pet directly in front of a fan or vent. While fans keep us cool in the heat, it is best to place them at a distance, or indirectly facing your pet’s cage. If you have air conditioning, make sure that the vent does not directly blow on your pet’s cage.
- Make sure your pet has plenty of fresh water. We have been told countless times to hydrate in the heat to prevent dehydration and heat related illnesss. The same goes for our pets.
- Do a little research on your pet. Some animal types, such as Chinchillas, are extremely sensitive to the heat and need a cool temperature to survive. Special products such as cooling stones can be purchased to help cool your pet, but you will need to be extra careful that your pet does not overheat.
- Just add ice. Ice cubes can be added to your pet’s water dish or bottle to cool down the water supply, and your pet. This is especially helpful if you have an outdoor pet.